Sunday, November 19, 2006

Art's version of how it all went down!!

The only thing I knew about this part of the journey was that I had a dream on Thursday night that Entertainment and I were getting married. Like many of my dreams go, it was very vivid in color and image, many scenes overlapped and in retrospect are a complete blur.

On Friday morning all I knew was that it was our love that permeated the dream. I woke up, told entertainment about it- he made some comment in fear that I knew too much......ha!

Now I don't dream about marriage very much. In fact I never have dreamt of marrying anyone really, no fantasies, no bridal magazines hanging around the home. I've never really considered myself a woman looking for the perfect guy to sweep me off my feet.....
then Entertainment shows up...
We've been dating for almost 2 years now and in the past month or so our relationship has deepened and grown rich with questions and passions for weaving our future together....

I had no idea that Nov. 17th would be the day that this question would soar through his lips with such calm, such compassion, such authenticity.... and when I heard him speak what did I do?

I LAUGHED and LAUGHED and LAUGHED. I couldn't stop laughing! The laughing continued to roar out of me- my heart beating super fast and my breath quickening...wowow what a feeling!
Then he opened a square blue box with a beautiful family heirloom snug into the fabric..what did I do?..... I LAUGHED some more!

Finally I got the chance to breath and articulate something....I had kept my love waiting a long ass time! (I heard a 3 week wait runs in his family so 3 minutes- not too bad!)
I looked back into his eyes and told him that I didn't doubt our love and commitment to each other. I really never have since we've grown together over the 2 years. Yes, I 've doubted his ability to manage his hair and to remember to bring his lunch from home, but I have felt so confident that he is a most fabulous partner for me and me for him for a long while!
I mean come on- he gets me to do the dishes, to tighten the cap on the toothpaste, to clean my car...true signs that love has taken over significant slackings that existed in my character before (don't worry he will never make me a neat freak. It is simply not in my DNA!)

Okay okay so then I said YES!!! I told him that I would love to marry him!

He told me about the ring, which is absolutely beautious from the 1930's. It was his great aunts- thank you Aunt Lois!

We began to walk towards the theatre for an 8:00 show called Acoustic Africa with one of our favorite Malian musicians Habib Koite. On the way it dawned on me that other people must have been in on this surprise. I asked him, "do other people know?"

"Yes", Entertainment chuckled.

"Does my father know?", Arts asked wide-eyed.

"Well, last week I had dinner with your parents in New York", entertainment exclaimed with a big smile across his face!

I fell to the ground squatting in place- trying to believe the evenings happenings!!

So all who know me the next part is pretty crazy....
We went to the show and I had to SIT for 2 hours of this concert not much leg room!!
My attention was split between looking at my ring finger now adorned with such an amazing symbol of love, making eye contact with my FIANCEE, and hearing the most beautiful music.
I truly heard the music differently this evening. I could hear each instrument and each voice vibrate through my ribcage and spine. What bliss this is!?!!

After the show I proposed to Entertainment knowing I wanted to return the amazing question he asked me just a few hours ago...........

It is so exciting to share all of this with you..may our new journey of commitment to each other be lit and loved by all of you!!!

PEACE

1 comment:

Rose said...

November 17th was my dear Grandmother's birthday, and it's always been a special day to me becaus she was so special to me.

Glad to meet you on the last days of the big honeymoon. Enjoy it all! Rose